Friday, February 6, 2009

THE 1st STEP TO SAVING

The first step to saving significant money is knowing where the money currently goes. To do that, set up a simple Excel sheet. I will forward a template if you email me at MoneySaverQuestion@gmail.com. You can edit to fit your family’s expenses. I can hear you now; “Who has time for this?” My answer, “You do - if you seriously want to save money.” You truly can’t save when you do not know how much you spend. Plus it makes you feel good when you can actually document the dollar savings (like the weight loss from a diet).

Every morning I take the receipts from the day before or notes of cash spent and type them in (it takes 5 minutes each day). Then, once a month, I take 30 minutes and enter the check book and charge card statements.

Don’t go back in time – that is a waste of time. Just start today and go forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment